Jewelry and relationships are intertwined. Giving and receiving jewels is one of the ways we express our deepest feelings to those we give them to. In our culture, no major life passage goes without a peace of...
How to sell designer jewelryApril 18, 2017 - Jewelry Articles
What is designer jewelry?
Designer jewelry consists of jewelry made by luxury brands such as Cartier, David Yurman, Graff, Bvlgari and a number of other iconic brand names. Branded jewelry generally represents a line of original jewelry that was created under a prominent designer or a design group. This jewelry can range from anything such as a simple silver chain to a more extravagant diamond necklace.
If you are looking to sell your heirlooms, there are a number of different ways to go about this. One advantage of selling pre-owned designer jewelry is that it retains better value than other, perhaps ‘ordinary’ jewelry. Designer jewelry is much more collectable and therefore valuable, especially when it is from certain household names.
How do I sell my designer jewelry?
If you are looking to sell designer jewelry, it is important to take into consideration the different options, especially if you are a first-time seller. Here are some tips before you make your sell:
- Remember that the emotional value is personal to you – Buyers will be seeking jewelry with monetary value. The sentimental value that a piece of jewelry holds is unique to the owner and has no impact on its monetary value. So as much as a ring may mean to you, the value of jewelry is only based on the piece as an object. It is important to consider this so as to not overestimate how much your jewelry is really worth!
- Be prepared – Before making your sale, make sure to gather any information you have on your jewelry. If you have the box and papers that came with your jewelry, make sure to keep them together. This will be used as evidence that your item is authentic.
- Check the condition – It is usually a good idea to have your jewelry restored (if needed) before making a sale. This is especially the case if it is an older piece that may have been neglected over the years. If it needs fixing, it is best to go to a professional rather than try to do it yourself as you may damage it further. If your jewelry is looking a little unclean, you can wash it with warm water and a small amount of washing up liquid to bring back its luster. You can either do this with a soft cloth or a very soft toothbrush (any hard bristles could scratch the surface).
Now that you are prepared for your sale, you need to decide how you wish to sell your designer jewelry. There are many options, which all have different advantages and disadvantages. Some of the options are:
- Scrapping designer jewelry: This option is not recommended for designer jewelry, as scrapping jewelry means you will only receive the value of the materials. The design and brand name attributed to your jewelry are where a large portion of the value lies.
- Pawning designer jewelry: This is an alternative to outright selling, as you can place your item in the care of a pawnbroker in exchange for a loan. Once your loan is repaid you may retrieve your item, however there is significant interest that you would need to pay on top of the loan.
- Auctioning designer jewelry: Another option is to auction your designer jewelry, either online or at an auction house. The advantage of auctioning online is that it is an easy process to upload the details of your designer jewelry to sell, however you may not receive the best price as online buyers are aware that online sellers tend to undersell. Selling at auction houses can be a great way to sell to specialist buyers, however it is a gamble as to whether the right buyers will be there on the day. It is also a rather lengthy process so it is only a viable option if you are willing to be extremely patient with the process.
- Selling designer jewelry on consignment: a local jeweler may offer the option of consignment. Do keep in mind, however, that consignment can take months or even years. There is no guarantee that it will in fact sell. And the jeweler will take a commission on the final sell price.
- Selling to specialist buyers: If you are looking for a quick and secure transaction, your best option is to sell your designer jewelry to specialist buyers. At WP Diamonds, we buy your designer jewelry, no hidden costs or fees involved. You can either make an appointment to visit us in person or send us your item through our secure service. Once one of our designer jewelry experts has provided you with an offer, you will receive your money in as little as 24 hours. Fill in the online form today to receive your estimate.